Summer is finally here, and we are set to start the great work life holiday challenge. For those of us remaining in the workplace over the summer months there are some important safety and wellness actions that can to be taken to make sure our employees remain safe, happy and productive.
The laws requiring action for ‘summer weather’ are few and far between, but there are some key points raised by health and safety bodies, like the Health and Safety Executive, that can be implemented for everyone’s safety and comfort.
- Ensure your office temperatures are ‘reasonable’.
- Provide appropriate protection from weather for outdoor employees.
- Ensure appropriate rest breaks are taken by those exposed to the weather.
- Provide suitable Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Include weather conditions in your risk assessments.
- Ensure easy access to free water!
The wellbeing actions that can be taken for ‘summer weather’ activities are more plentiful. Irrespective of your budget, you can really harness the positive energy of the good weather and summer holiday fun to build a platform for increased engagement, productivity and success.
Here are a few ideas to create a happy and engaged workforce over the summer months, and hopefully an enhanced boost for the autumn months to follow:
- Temporary flexible working which can be a massive morale booster
- Take your meetings outside – don’t sit in air-conditioned rooms when you can be in the shade of the sun.
- Hold summer socials – whether it be iced coffee in your canteen, a local coffee shop or a family BBQ getting your employees to socialise in a relaxed setting can improve engagement.
- Encourage your employees to take their lunch in the park or on the beach – encourage your employees to have a proper lunch break and go outside and make the most of their surroundings.
- Extended lunch breaks – give your employees an extra 30 minutes lunch once a week over. the summer and they will come back to their desk positively energised.
- Walking one to ones – take the time to catch up with your employees whilst you walk.
- Free ‘Friday’ – offer an additional afternoon over the summer as a bonus or reward.
- Don’t forget the ice-cream! Buy your employees an ice cream. Who doesn’t love one over the summer!
Without investing a large sum of money you can help your employees make the most of the vitamin D and positivity that comes with the summer months. You will be amazed at the buzz these simple acts can create. Here is to a happy, sunny and productive summer!
Written by Heidi Roper